THE HOLY GITA

Sunday 3 December 2017

THE HOLY GITA --CHAPTER 10, VERSE 01, VIBHUTI YOGA OR THE YOGA OF DIVINE MANIFESTATIONS

THE HOLY GITA
CHAPTER NUMBER 10
VIBHUTI YOGA—THE YOGA OF DIVINE MANIFESTATIONS:
VERSE NUMBER 01
Text in Transliteration:
                                  Sree bhagavaan uvaacha
bhooya eva mahaabaaho srrnu me paramam vacha:
yat te ‘ham preeyamaanaaya vakshyaami hi takaamyayaa
Sanskrit words and phrases and their meaning:
sree  bhagavaan uvaacha = Sri Bhagavan said:
bhooyah: = again; eva = verily; mahaabaaho = O mighty-armed; srrnu = hear; me = my; paramam = supreme; vachah: = word; yat = which; te = to thee; aham = I; preeyamaanaaya = who art beloved; vakshyaami = (I) will declare; hitakaamayayaa = wishing (thy) welfare;
Text in English:
                                  The Blessed Lord said:
Once again, O mighty-armed, listen to My supreme word. Out of a desire to do you good I wish to speak of it to your absorbing delight.  

COMMENTARY BY SRIMAT SWAMI CHIDBHAVANANDA:
The Lord is pleased with Arjuna’s keen interest in hearing of His divine glories. The master’s zeal to teach waxes in unison with the receptive faculty of the taught. This psychological fact is made evident here. The Vedantic verdict—“wonderful is the teacher, and equally clever the pupil” is more than proved by Sri Krishna and Arjuna. What the Lord imparts is the life-saving ambrosia to Arjuna.
The topic dealt with in chapters seven and nine is resumed and supplemented somewhat elaborately in this chapter. Repeated and comprehensive enquiry into the glory of the lord clarifies the understanding and promotes devotion. For, knowing and loving are interrelated. What else can man do than bend his head in reverence before the Grandeur and Sublimity of the Lord!
But what grandeur can there be in a personality bound in this mortal coil? The Lord Himself answers in the next stanza.

COMMENTARY BY DR.S.RADHAKRISHNAN:
Priyamaanaaya may also be rendered “who are beloved”.

COMMENTARY BY SRIMAT SWAMI SIVANANDA:
I shall repeat what I said before (in the seventh and the ninth discourses). My essential nature and My manifestations have already been pointed out. As it is very difficult to understand the divine nature, I shall describe it once more to you, although it has been described already. I shall tell you of the divine glories and point out in which forms of being I should be thought of.
I will speak to you as you are delighted to hear Me. Now your heart is taking delight in Me.
The Lord wants to encourage Arjuna and cheer him up and so He Himself comes forward to give instructions to Arjuna even without his request.
Paramam Vachah: supreme word. Paramam means supreme, revealing the unsurpassed truth (Ciratisaya Vastu which is Brahman).

O Arjuna! You are immensely delighted with My speech, as if you are drinking the immortalising nectar.

No comments:

Post a Comment