THE HOLY GITA

Friday 15 April 2016

VERSE NUMBER 48 OF SAMKHYA YOGA OR THE YOGA OF KNOWLEDGE

THE HOLY GITA
CHAPTER NUMBER TWO
SAMKHYA YOGA OR THE YOGA OF KNOWLEDGE
VERSE NUMBER 48
Text in Transliteration:
yogashah kuru karmaani sangam tyaktvaa dhanarmjaya
siddhy asiddhyoh samo buootvaa samatvam yoga uchyate
Text in English:
Perform action, O Dhananjaya, being fixed in yoga, renouncing attachments, and even-minded in success and filure; equilibrium is verily yoga.
COMMENTARY BY CHIDHBHAVANANDA:
The yogi holds all the activities taking place in him as the doings of the Lord. He places himself in the position of a willing servant. He places himself in the position of a willing servant, ever ready to execute orders. An attitude of this kind eliminates attachment. The master orders his servant to go to the next village and bring a particular person. The servant goes on the errand accordingly, but finds the person absent. There is no disappointment in him for this failure. There is no disappointment in him for this failure. He is commissioned to go on another day on which he is able to find the required person. There is no special elation over the success now. The servant is simply satisfied with carrying out orders effectively. It is in this manner that the yogi holds the successes and failures in his endeavours free from attachment and aversion.
The nature of the mind is to be elated in success and dejected in failure. But by remaining unperturbed by either, the mind gains in clarity and firmness. It is like the surface of water that has become placid and fit to reflect objects clearly. This even-mindedness is equilibrium. He is a yogi who keeps the mind in this poised state under all circumstances. Spiritual growth is possible to him only who keeps the mind ever poised.
 SRI RAMAKRISHNA AS QUOTED BY SWAMI CHIDBHVANANDA:
Be in the world even as a maid-servant in a rich man’s house. For all intent and purposes she claims her master’s children and property as her own. But at the core of her heart she knows that they do not belong to her and remains firm in that attitude. Seemingly own worldly things; but have no attachment to them. As the maid-servant can with ease relinquish her assumed ownership of the master’s property, be prepared for separation from earthly possession.
COMMENTARY BY DR.S.RADHAKRISHNAN:
yogasthah: steadfast in inner composure.
Samatvam: inner poise. It is self-mastery. It is conquest of anger, sensitiveness, pride and ambition.
We must work with a perfect serenity indifferent to the results. He who acts by virtue of an inner law is on a higher level than one whose action is dictated by his whims.
Those who do works for the sake of their fruits go to the region of the fathers or pitrs, those who pursue wisdom go to the region of the gods or devas.
COMMENTARY BY SWAMI SIVANANDA:
Dwelling in union with the Divine perform actions merely for God’s sake with a balanced mind in success and failure. Equilibrium is yoga. The attainment of the knowledge of the Self through purity of heart obtained by doing actions without expectation of fruits is success ( Siddhi). Failure is the non-attainment of knowledge by doing actions with expectation of fruit.
Comments by the blogger:
Conquest of anger, sensitiveness, pride and ambition is ‘samatvam’; equilibrium is verily yoga. The yogi holds all the actions taking place in him as the doing of the Lord. He places himself as the servant of God. Steadfastness in inner composure.
All these exhortations by great commentators will not help us. They are great souls, but we all are not like them. In my personal experience, one thing has helped in a great way. That is the trick of seeing the Lord in every one and everything. This will not help instantly. I prayed to the Lord that if it is true that the Lord Krishna is there in every one and everything, the whole universe is related to me. Then how can I get angry at my tormentors and aggressors and sworn enemies; too many of them. I used to have too many of them some fifteen years back. They made my life a veritable hell day and night, day in and day out!  But I conquered them all only through this trick. I prayed to Lord Lingeshwarar, my Ishta moorthy, (lingarupam is the amorphous form of the Lord Siva representing the whole universe) that if what is stated in Bhagavat Gita is right, and the Lord is present pervasively in all, organic and inorganic, then I should love the Lord in my enemies and tormentors. There was much professional jealousy. I could not come up in my advocate profession. I am an M.A., B.L. with, but I could not come up in the profession because of a few sworn enemies who acted at the behest of one leader among them. With the result I had to consult the psychiatrist several times. At long lost, at fifty-six, it has been five years since I said good by to the legal profession. Because of my M.A. in English Literature, now I have found my vocation in writing a serialized novel as a blogger (myresourcefulaunt.blogspot.com) apart from this blog on the Holy Gita. I have conquered all my enemies through one trick. And that is to see and envision in every single one of my tormentors and enemies and their friends the Lord Himself. I prayed for this gift, and the was blessed with the gift. So, even a single sloka or verse in Bhagavat Gita could save a soul and help him/her attain salvation or at least, as in my case, find the necessary mental equanimity, which is extolled as yoga.
So, if I could be a Bhagti Yogi, you could be a Buddhi Yogi, or Jnana Yogi or Raja Yogi. The trick is to have faith in the Lord’s words. At fifty-six with no rupee as individual income,  I have been able to understand God’s scheme for the universe as well as me. You could do the same. No one is immaterial in His scheme. So have the strength to have faith, a modicum of it, and then pray to the Lord by surrendering to Him Your all, and then He would start to lead your life for you in slow gradation. At the end of the day, you’d go to bed with strong conviction that God pervades the Universe and so I am safe in His hands.

But on the professional and financial plane, I have become a dismal and complete failure, which scarcely bothers me. I was born for the teaching profession. Lawyers’ profession is full of cut throat completion. Writing also is my swadharma. I was born to read, teach and write. But, after M.A. I foolishly opted for the legal profession. Those who do not have a clear cut idea about their swadharma are bound to suffer. I have suffered a lot. But even my suffering has become my gaining in that I have been able to understand the Lord’s scheme for the Universe! I might take an umpteen number of rebirths, but I will come again and again as a human being to pick up the thread left off at the end of each innings! We will discuss this aspect as and when the occasion arises.  

No comments:

Post a Comment